UPDATED Dec 09/11 – CANACE’s Director of Multimedia Production Jeff Parkinson has released a short movie that tells the story of the arrests of the Caledonia 8 on the Douglas Creek Estates on Dec 03/11.
- CANACEHD channel: The Caledonia Eight Arrested [VIDEO, 9:54]
- JeffParkinson.ca, Dec 06/11: New Video – The Caledonia Eight Arrested
- Also: VoiceofCanada, Dec 04/11: CAUGHT ON TAPE: Native occupier threatens non-native woman in Caledonia’s ‘no-go zone’
- Also: VoiceofCanada, Dec 04/11: The Caledonia 8 – arrested in non-native ‘no-go zone’ occupation site (photos, story)
Jeff himself was arrested, but handed the camera over to Christine McHale when it was his turn line to wear handcuffs so she could continue documenting the scene. Jeff is shown kneeling in the photo below.
The Caledonia Eight (L-R): Randy Fleming, Doug Fleming, Mark Vandermaas, Gary McHale, Jeff Parkinson (kneeling), Jack Van Halteren (w/hat), Merlyn Kinrade, Bonnie Stephens. PHOTO by Stuart Laughton, taken at OPP Caledonia sub-station after arrests.
TRIVIA: You’ll see a rather humorous scene where I’m bent over trying to get into the paddy wagon but the door is too small for my shoulders and it was almost impossible to twist sideways with my hands cuffed. As you watch me try to get through the door you’ll hear me say, “If the van doesn’t fit you must acquit” (with apologies to Johnny Cochran).
MORE TRIVIA: While we were inside the van Jeff asked if anyone knew any civil rights songs so I led the seven of us (Gary McHale was taken by other means of transport) in ‘We Shall Overcome,’ so that’s my voice you first hear singing from inside the van. I didn’t see Bonnie so I assumed she had been taken away with Gary, but she was, in fact, with us in another part of the paddywagon:
“There was a separate, small cell built into the van directly behind the front passenger side seat. I was sitting in there, but I could see out because there were rows of small holes in the side, sliding door that closed off the approximately 4′ x 4′ “cell” where I was. I could hear you guys behind me in the back. I heard you talking to each other, but I couldn’t make out all the words. I heard you singing and I joined in, and I heard Randy Fleming most clearly, so that might help you figure out where I was in relation to yourself. I think that you were on the driver side, so I was across from you. I might add that I was quite proud of my calmness because I am very claustrophobic.”
EVEN MORE TRIVIA: This was Gary McHale’s 4th arrest in Caledonia; Doug Fleming’s 2nd; Randy Fleming’s 2nd; and my 2nd. Jack, Bonnie and Jeff were newbies although all have paid a price as they volunteered countless hours to the struggle against racial justice. Jeff suffers from a lingering brain injury after being knocked unconscious on Dec 01/07 when Six Nations smokeshack supporters attacked us.
- R. v. Gary McHale (Assault) [LINK] (re Truth & Reconciliation Rally, Feb 27/11)
- R. v. Gary McHale (Counselling Mischief Not Committed) [LINK] (re anti-smokeshack protest, Dec 01/07)
- VoiceofCanada feature: THE END OF THE BEGINNING! (4 arrests for trying to raise Canadian flag)
- CWUC feature: Black Eye on Democracy (arrest of Randy Fleming)
- Caledonia: No More Nightmares, Gary McHale: Part 3 - ’ The Smoking Gun of OPP Corruption’
More Media Coverage
SUN News TV sent two trucks yesterday (Dec 05/11) to interview Gary McHale across the street from the occupied Douglas Creek Estates where the Caledonia Eight were arrested on Saturday. They aired 4 interviews with Gary throughout the day:
- SUN News TV, Dec 05/11: John Robson interviews Gary McHale
Gary’s also done radio interviews with various Toronto stations and one in Alberta.
London Free Press covers the story
According to today’s print version of the LFP the story about the arrest of a London man in Caledonia (that would be me) was the most viewed online story of the day before (Dec 05). I wasn’t interviewed for the story, likely because it was a QMI newswire item.
- London Free Press, Dec 05/11: Londoner among those arrested at Caledonia: OPP takes flak
Do be sure to read the uninformed comments from supporters of the violent occupation that terrorized a whole community, especially the comments asserting the land is native land. Then…watch this from my speech at the Caledonia: No More Nightmares event held earlier this year in Ottawa by the International Free Press Society/and the Free Thinking Film Society:
- Caledonia: No More Nightmares: Mark Vandermaas – Part 2 [VIDEO, 14:50] (‘Vexatious Land Claims‘ & ‘Caledonia: A National Security Issue‘
- Mark Vandermaas, presentation notes: [PDF, 36p (incl. citations)
When you’re done that you may wish to watch the short video of the former Mayor of Haldimand break down in tears as she closes the event with her remarks. Click here and scroll down to: ‘Caledonia Residents/Marie Trainer – ‘A Mayor’s Perspective.’
THE TRIVIA KEEPS COMING: I’m grateful for the coverage but, interestingly, the London Free Press is the same paper that refused to print any stories about my 26 day Blue Beret vigil last summer at a London mosque which I launched to protest its support for the Canadian Boat to Hamas — even though the mosque is just 10 minutes away from their HQ. (By comparison, Caledonia = 1.5 hours.)
- VoiceofCanada, July 11/11: The op-ed the London Free Press refused to print
To those of you who have always said, ‘Somebody should DO something!’
That somebody is YOU. There will be another protest in January/February, so you might have the chance to be a member of the ‘Caledonia Fifty.’ Are you willing to peacefully, respectfully and lovingly wear the bracelets of freedom?
Let me know if you’re willing to come and pay a price to stand with us and be counted in the struggle to stop race-based policing and lawless no-go zones in our province. If so, email me: Mark Vandermaas, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need help making the decision:
- VoiceofCanada feature: Lessons from Dr. King
- HelplessByBlatchford feature: Caledonia: No More Nightmares
- VoiceofCanada, Dec 04/11: CAUGHT ON TAPE: Native occupier threatens non-native woman in Caledonia’s ‘no-go zone’
- VoiceofCanada, Dec 04/11: The Caledonia 8 – arrested in non-native ‘no-go zone’ occupation site (photos, story)
- Canadian Advocates for Charter Equality (CANACE): www.CANACE.ca
- Xanthippa’s Chamberpot, Dec 07/11: Video of the December 3rd 2011 Caledonia arrests (X’s post offers some interesting observations & questions that are worth considering)