- VoC feature: Caledonia Lawsuits (see 1536412 Ontario Ltd. v. HDI (OPP abuses of power during illegal occupation); John Voortman & Assoc. v. HMF (supremacy of rule of law re illegal occupation); and Parkinson v. R., 2009 (private prosecutions))
- VoC, June 05/09: Ontario Superior Court: OPP refusal to aid Cayuga land owner an ‘abuse of power & police discretion’
On May 07/08 CANACE released ‘Legalized MYTHS of Illegal Occupations,‘ a report which explodes 6 myths that have been propagated by the OPP and/or native protesters including: ‘colour of right,’ ‘duty to consult,’ ‘police discretion,’ and ’aboriginal rights.’
In short…there is absolutely NO legal justification for illegal occupations or criminal behaviour by natives in support of land claims. None.
And, the Ontario government and the OPP know it. Read it for yourself:
The McGuinty/OPP approach to land claim lawlessness is not working. Recent events in Deseronto and Caledonia leave no doubt that the situation is escalating out of control, that someone will be killed if the current approach of dealing with land claim disputes is not stopped in its tracks.
After reading this report you may well come to the same conclusion as we did – that the McGuinty government has perpetrated the greatest, most expensive fraud in Canadian history in terms of economic and human costs. As CANACE’s Director of Research, Mark Vandermaas said while preparing this report, “Once you strip away the myths and the lies they are predicated upon, the so-called ‘justification’ of race-based policing offered by the OPP and the McGuinty government is nothing more than liberalist-ideology-gone-insane hidden inside a house of cards surrounded by smoke and mirrors.” The inescapable truth is, there was no legal justification for abandoning the citizens of Caledonia, Deseronto or Ipperwash to the rule of thugs. None.
Not only is the McGuinty/OPP approach not working, it never had a chance of doing so in the first place and now, thousands of people are paying the price for this failure to comprehend the basic principles of democracy.
Perhaps the biggest myth of all covered by this report is Myth #6: Land owners can do nothing about occupations.
- CANACE news release, July 08/08: CANACE ‘extortion’ charges certified by Ontario Court of Justice
Legalized MYTHS was downloaded more than 2,600 times in the first 24 hours following its release on May 07/08 with 8,457 total downloads by July 14/08, just 8 weeks later.
Other CANACE reports:
- Ontario deserves a full and fair inquiry into landclaim lawlessness (2 page summary of our Ipperwash Papers project. Understand the Ipperwash cover-up and you’ll understand how McGuinty has led Ontario towns into landclaim anarchy.)
- The Human Costs of Illegal Occupations (downloaded over 20,000 times since release in December 2007!)
- Cost of Native Occupations (13,584 downloads as of July 14/08 )
- McGuinty’s Ipperwash Cover-up: the Caledonia Legacy (2 part series published by Regional News, Feb 18/25/09)
Mark Vandermaas, Editor
Director of Research
Canadian Advocates for Charter Equality