IMPORTANT UPDATE 1240 EST, Aug 12/07:
YOUR MAYOR STILL NEEDS YOU! Haldimand Council was told its attack on Mayor Trainer’s privacy might not be legal (duh!), so instead of just voting to drop their silly resolution (scroll down to “ORIGINAL POST” below) at their August 8th meeting, the entire council voted to defer it – again – until Monday, August 13 at 6pm. The Mayor was the only one to vote against deferral, asking that the stupidity stop right then and there.
Please…take some time out of your busy schedule to be there. I know I will be; after all, if they can do it to your mayor, someone can do it to mine. Gary McHale wasn’t able to make the last meeting due to a last-minute emergency, but he assures me he will definitely be in Cayuga for this meeting. Hopefully, Councillor Sloat won’t attack us. (See Aug 07/07 update below re Sloat’s unprovoked attack on a member of the public on the steps of Haldimand County hall.)
My sources tell me that the mayor really appreciates the support shown so far. Let’s send a strong message to Council that their attempts to undermine democracy will not be tolerated.
To Haldimand Council:
I suspect that if council is actually stupid enough to pass this resolution, you’ll be begging to rescind it in no time. That’s because the mayor’s supporters will start sending emails and letters to her asking important questions like, “Is Councillor Sloat going to be attacking anyone else today?” or “Will there be police to protect me from King Sloat?” or “How do you cope with such backstabbing, sneaky, underhanded tactics from fellow councillors?”
I’m sure the mayor would love to receive copies of VoiceofCanada posts or CaledoniaWakeUpCall editorials that staff would have to copy for distribution to council. Perhaps you’d each like to receive a copy of the 400+ pages of documents that make up The Ipperwash Papers. Let’s see…6 councillors x 400 pages… You get the idea.
If council wants the mayor’s mail, we’ll give it to you. I’m sure the mayor is capable and willing to set up a back-channel method of communicating with her for the important stuff.
Furthermore, if this resolution passes, every member of council who votes in favour will be subject to complaints to the Privacy Commissioner, the Minister of Municipal Affairs, and whatever other legal actions we can take against you to restore the mayor’s right to communicate privately with her constituents.
Do the right thing on Monday to end this un-democratic nonsense. If not, the fight will just be getting started. I promise.
P.S. Instead of subverting democracy, why don’t you suggest to King Sloat that he apologize for embarassing Haldimand with his insult to a Korean war veteran, and his unprovoked assault on a member of the public on the steps of city hall?
- CaledoniaWakeUpCall feature: Haldimand Council fights against Democracy, Free Speech and Privacy (Don’t miss ‘Hail King Sloat’ – a must-read!)
- Haldimand’s Unheard Voice, Aug 10/07: Bold Attack on Freedoms (reprint of letter by Caledonia resident, Mike Parent. Another must-read!)
- Haldimand’s Unheard Voice, Aug 9/07: Haldimand Vote Deferred Again
- CaledoniaWakeUpCall blog, Aug 08/07: Haldimand council fighting desperately against democracy – Your help is needed (Read Jeff Parkinson’s first hand account of Councillor Buck Sloat’s unprovoked attack on him)
IMPORTANT UPDATE 2315 EST, Aug 07/07:
I am back from attending today’s disgusting meeting at Haldimand Council:
1. YOUR MAYOR NEEDS YOU! You need to be at Haldimand Council at 1pm tomorrow (address below) to send a strong message that their last minute sneak attack on Mayor Trainer’s privacy, authority and relationships with her constituents (that’s you!) will not be tolerated. I drove all the way from London to attend today’s meeting because if they can do it to your mayor someone can do it to mine. Please…read my original post below, then go support your mayor tomorrow. Call your councillor, or at least send them an email (links below).
2. The Council went out of its way today to deny Haldimand residents the opportunity to speak on this very important resolution. Councillor Grice was the only bright spot in that he did put forth a motion that people be allowed to speak. It was seconded by the mayor, but was defeated. Unbelievable.
3. Councillors Sloat and Dalimonte left early. Council managed to deal with $100,000+ issues without them, but then, when the motion regarding the mayor’s email came up for discussion, the matter was suddenly deferred until tomorrow at 1pm despite the Council having a quorum. Our information is that Sloat, at least, was attending a Liberal photo op. I guess supporting McGuinty’s re-election campaign was more important than dealing with a resolution undermining the mayor’s privacy and authority.
4. Be careful if you decide to go to council tomorrow! In an unprovoked attack at 1215 today, after voting not to allow Haldimand residents to speak, Ward 2 Councillor Buck Sloat grabbed a man by the shoulder, snatched his tape recorder from his shirt pocket and threw it on the ground, right on the back steps at city hall! The incident was witnessed and recorded on audio. The man filed a report with the OPP shortly afterwards asking that Sloat be charged with assault.
In the ‘What goes around, comes around’ category, readers may recall that Buck Sloat was the guy who said, in a public meeting, that he couldn’t support Gary McHale or me because “he couldn’t support anyone coming to town to commit offences.” [see Audio Segment #3, Question 4] Well, Bucky, neither Gary or I have committed a single crime in Caledonia, and we’ve never been accused of assault either.
- Haldimand’s Unheard Voice, Aug 09/07: Haldimand Vote Deferred Again (Donna Pitcher’s account of today’s shocking events)
- CaledoniaWakeUpCall audio file: Councillor Sloat insults citizen, assaults another
- CaledoniaWakeUpCall editorial, Aug 07/07: No democracy in Haldimand County
- CaledoniaWakeUpCall editorial, Aug 07/07: Councilor Sloat: Banned from Haldimand County?
- Letter from Caledonia citizen, Aug 07/07: Are Councillors about to violate the Criminal Code?
Tomorrow morning, Haldimand Council will present a repugnant bit of skullduggery cooked up behind the Mayor’s back with the help of some councillors and county staff. This treachery takes the form of a resolution that removes all privacy between you and your mayor. Here is an excerpt:
BE IT RESOLVED; THAT ALL correspondence sent and received through the Mayor’s office including all e-mail addressed to the Mayor by title or name, be copied to all councilors as well as the County Clerk;
AND THAT the Mayor’s assistant implement this direction for all hard copy correspondence;
You got it. Council wants copies of everything sent to and from the Mayor! Of course, they aren’t suggesting that copies of their messages be subject to this odious rule, only the Mayor’s.
In addition to violating the privacy between you and your Mayor, Council is seeking to dramatically undermine her role as the CEO of Haldimand, a post for which she was duly elected. It is un-democratic and it cannot be allowed to succeed.
Mayor Trainer needs your help NOW!
Recently, Haldimand’s Unheard Voice ran a story called My Chat with the Mayor that exposed how Mayor Trainer was the only person on council to ask that the McGuinty government be held accountable for their role in the Douglas Creek Estates occupation. Instead, all of council (except for Lorne Boyko who was out of town), including Craig Grice, voted against her and decided to blame the federal government who has repeatedly said the DCE claim is invalid!
Mayor Trainer is the only member on Haldimand Council who has had the courage to publicly speak the truth about the failures of Fantino and McGuinty in connection with the occupation of the Douglas Creek Estates, and now she needs your help to defend democracy and constituent privacy against those who wish to silence her. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Attend the presentation of this resolution:
Tuesday, August 7th at 9:30AM
Haldimand Council Chambers
45 Munsee Street
2. Call your councillor to tell them how you feel about democracy and privacy:
Leroy Bartlett 905 961 4834, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lorne Boyko 905 774 6309, email@example.com
Tony Dalimonte 905 768 1260, firstname.lastname@example.org
Craig Grice 905 961 1264, email@example.com
Don Ricker 905 774 4661, firstname.lastname@example.org
Buck Sloat 905 961 3270, email@example.com
Mayor Trainer 905 318 5932, Ext 201, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re not sure who your councillor is, check out this map.
This resolution has the potential to impact leaders and citizens in municipalities all across Ontario, so I will be driving in from London tomorrow to support your mayor. I hope to see you there!
Mark Vandermaas, Editor
- Haldimand’s Unheard Voice, Aug 04/07: Another Chat with the Mayor
- CaledoniaWakeUpCall editorial, Aug 05/07: McGuinty attempts to control Mayor Trainer
- Haldimand’s Unheard Voice, July 10/07: My Chat with the Mayor
- VoiceofCanada, July 10/07: Grice puts McGuinty’s re-election ahead of residents
- VoiceofCanada, Jan 28/07: Caledonia land claim BOGUS? 16 Questions for investigators