When natives occupied the Stirling Woods housing development in Caledonia on Aug 10/07, they brought some very informative signs with them. One, sure to win over many hearts and minds of non-native Canadians said, “KKKANADA COMMITS GENOCIDE” right beside another that said, “We are NOT prepared to give up our RIGHT to EXIST.” Believe it or not, however, these insulting, over-the-top, pieces of hateful propaganda weren’t the most startling messages carried by the gangsters; that honour belongs to the “We are not terrorists!” sign clearly visible in this picture.
Gary McHale is currently working on a report called ‘The Cost of Native Occupations,‘ to be used to approach businesses for funding. I’ve seen the draft version and it is impressive for its information, including a list of accomplishments in the struggle against Two Tier Justice.
It might be hard for people in Caledonia, especially those closest to the occupation, to believe that anything has been accomplished to date, but the evidence of at least one major achievement is right there in the picture – “We are not Terrorists!”
The native gangsters who have beseiged Caledonia for more than a year now realize that we – assisted greatly by their own inability to restrain themselves – have turned the media and public opinion against them so much that they now feel compelled to carry signs saying they are not terrorists. This is an important milestone.
“We are not terrorists?” Really? Prove it.
If the DCE occupiers want to prove they’re no longer terrorists, I have a few suggestions for them:
- Vacate the Douglas Creek Estates, and allow the courts to determine the validity of your claim.
- Publicly denounce violence and economic terrorism.
- Apologize for past violence, crime and intimidation against Caledonia residents.
- Allow the OPP to patrol all areas outside reserve boundaries, including Sixth Line and DCE.
- Stop falsely accusing others of being racists or white supremacists for opposing your lawlessness and for insisting that all citizens be treated equally under the law.
- Teach your kids that when they follow demagogues who devalue and victimize non-native human beings, they devalue and victimize themselves.
- Tell the OPP to respect non-native rights as well as your own.
You don’t stop being terrorists and criminals just because you say so. No one believes you anymore. Show us by your actions. Talk with us. Meet with us. Educate us. Negotiate with us in good faith.
If you don’t want to be seen as terrorists…stop acting like terrorists.
And, while you’re at it, stop insulting the citizens of this country with your silly claims of genocide and racism. You do a disservice to your people and to all the people in this world who have experienced true genocide in all its horror. Canada may have done bad things to you in the past, but to falsely claim that we are committing genocide against native people today does not help your cause.
It’s a shame that the ‘HONOUR INDIAN TREATIES’ sign was so badly overshadowed by the hateful ‘KKK genocide’ and ‘we are not terrorists’ propaganda. It was the only one that made any sense to me.
“I believe, however, that it is a critical mistake of both our government, the Inquiry and the OPP to assume that violent criminal factions speak for native people, and to ‘negotiate’ with them as if they do. It is an insult to every honourable, law-abiding, peace-loving native person in Canada.
“OPP Two Tier Justice policies are based on the false premise that native people have no self-control, that they are incapable of obeying the law, that they and their children are willing to live in a lawless world ruled by criminals who take what they want, when they want. For more than 15 years the OPP has been sacrificing the well-being of law-abiding people – both native and non-native – for the benefit of sociopaths and demagogues.
“What does it say to honourable aboriginal parents who try to raise their children to have respect for the rights and property of other citizens when the government and the OPP so eagerly reward thugs in native communities for their violence and criminality? How many native youth have been turned away from productive lives by well-meaning, but destructive racial policing policies?
“We are at a very dangerous crossroads. One road goes to a peaceful, prosperous Canada where people are ruled by laws and the rights of all citizens are respected. The other road…”
Canada at the Crossroads: The Ipperwash Legacy
Presented at Caledonia Lions Hall, Jan 10/07
Mark Vandermaas, Editor
- CaledoniaWakeUpCall photo gallery, Aug 10/07: Native protesters occupy Stirling development in Caledonia
- VoiceofCanada, May 26/07: OPP Two Tier Justice policies victimize native people
- VoiceofCanada feature: Caledonia Photos
- VoC post, March 31/07: The lady protests too much, methinks – Horn says Canadian Forces preparing for genocide against ‘defenceless’ natives
- VoiceofCanada presentation, Caledonia Lions Hall, June 10/07: Canada at the Crossroads: The Ipperwash Legacy