UPDATE 2029 EST Sept 15/07: Link to CHCH video re McGuinty intimidation attempt. See also, CHCH TV not only victim of McGuinty intimidation.
In the ‘Who the hell do you think you are?‘ department, McGuinty’s Liberal campaign office today tried to silence and control the media by trying – unsuccessfully – to intimidate CHTV into not running a story about a Brantford developer’s confrontation with the Premier over his government’s refusal to provide assistance for builders suffering landclaim extortion and occupations.
Instead of talking about the importance of enforcing the law to protect the integrity of the Land Titles system, the Premier, through his campaign office, threatened to 1. lodge a complaint with senior executives, 2. Lodge a complaint with Canadian Broadcasts Standards, and 3. Deny CHTV access to the Premier during the election campaign!
In 1978 I went half-way around the world to serve in a UN peacekeeping mission on the Suez Canal in Egypt to play a small part in keeping the peace where there was none. Since McGuinty came to power…
- Children just 1 1/2 hours from my home are afraid because police have left them to the mercy of criminals.
- Natives can now take any land they please free of consequences with no help available from the OPP or the government.
- McGuinty’s shameful Ipperwash Inquiry cover-up has effectively given radical natives a licence to use any level of violence they wish to get what they want.
- Illegal occupations are spreading across Ontario.
- Criminals are raping women on occupied land purchased by McGuinty’s government, land that is off-limits to the OPP.
- Law abiding, peaceful Canadians are arrested for trying to raise a Canadian flag.
- The Six Nations Confederacy has now implemented a formal extortion program to extract protection money from land owners.
- The OPP spit in the faces of the judiciary by continually refusing to enforce court orders.
- And now, McGuinty’s government has the sheer effrontery to intimidate a media outlet into not reporting the news. Incredible.
Actually, it’s not the first time McGuinty’s people have threatened CHTV for telling the truth about native lawlessness. The first time (that we know of!) was August 3rd last year when Chris Morley, McGuinty’s Press Secretary, tried to intimidate CHTV producer Lawrence Diskin because they interviewed Gary McHale. According to McHale, Diskin told him CHTV was to be punished by McGuinty for having McHale on TV.
Our province is edging closer to the edge of a very dark abyss. Freedom of speech. Freedom of the Press. Freedom of Association. Rule of law. Peace, Order and Good Government. Civil rights. Equality. Human Rights. All under attack by McGuinty and a corrupt police force that seems as if it were under the direct employ of the Liberal Party and native criminals.
I am very afraid today. We must use every legal means at our disposal to resist.
Mark Vandermaas, Editor
Co-founder, Canadian Advocates for Charter Equality
P.S. Way to go CHTV! It was a beautiful thing watching you expose McGuinty’s shameful attack on media freedom, something you certainly don’t see every day. Very nicely done! Let’s hope other media outlets pick up on this extraordinary story.
P.P.S. Is it possible that McGuinty’s re-election campaign is starting to implode? After all, in just a single day, the Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs announced that landowners are on their own if their land is illegally occupied by natives, and then McGuinty launches a brazen attack on freedom of the press. Hmmmm…some very hopeful signs.
P.P.P.S. Why do you suppose the Canadian Civil Liberties Association has been so silent about the dangers to our democracy? I personally contacted them on several occasions by phone, by email and by fax begging for help for Dancer, begging for them to at least meet with us. They never returned my messages.
- CHCH TV, Sept 12/07: Statement re McGuinty intimidation
- Hamilton Spectator, Sept 12/07: Ontario won’t help developers stop natives
- CaledoniaWakeUpCall editorial, Sept 12/07: Extortion: McGuinty Fails Big Time
- FantinoGate Presentation, Queen’s Park, April 17/07: Link between Fantino’s email and Mr. McGuinty