‘If a dog bites a man, that’s not news. If, however, a man bites a dog, that IS news’
Journalism maxim (author unknown)
First things first: about last night’s Steyn-apalooza event…
I’d never read a word written by Mark Steyn until just recently, so I didn’t know what to expect from him during last night’s performance/lecture. He had me laughing so hard I was crying, especially at the dimwitted journalists who have, apparently, changed his name to ‘Controversial Author Mark Steyn’ (rather like ‘The Artist Formerly Known As Prince’) for having the audacity to criticize barbaric Islamic practices such as stoning women to death for adultery, and female circumcision.
Natasha of ‘Moose & Squirrel’ has provided a great overview of Steyn-apalooza so rather than recount it here myself, I’ll let you read hers (and some others) after offering up some personal tidbits:
Steyn briefly mentioned Caledonia in his presentation with respect to appeasement of extremism, and I was very appreciative of his instructions to the crowd to confront those who wish to take away our rights at every opportunity. Organizer Andrew Lawton of Strictly Right was kind enough to introduce me to Steyn afterwards, so I told him how much I appreciated that advice, that we had invested 31 months and 4 arrests to confront the OPP to make the Canadian flag legal again there. He expressed his disgust at how the people there were abandoned by all levels of government.
- Moose & Squirrel, Nov 01/10: Steynapalooza played to a full house! (M&S was also kind enough to send me a bunch of traffic to my story on Ernie Palmer in Caledonia)
- Moose & Squirrel, Nov 02/10: Local media on Steynapalooza
- Five Feet of Fury, Nov 02/10: Steynapalooza: so a dominatrix, an imam and a ‘Top 41 recording artist’ walk into a theatre
- Blazing Cat Fur, Nov 02/10: Mark Steyn in London Ontario
- Strictly Right, Nov 02/10: Steynapalooza a Huge Success!
- see also: Jewish Voice & Herald, Oct 29/10: CAMERA addresses delegitimization of Israel (great quotes from Steyn as one of featured speakers at U.S. conference)
STOP THE PRESSES! Man (er, journalist) bites dog over Steyn-apalooza!
Well, it’s finally happened folks, it really has: a reporter has actually criticized conservatives for NOT associating with white supremacists.
Morning host guy Jeff McArthur on AM980 in London was inviting listeners to comment on Steyn-apalooza organizer Andrew Lawton’s decision not to allow a known white supremacist to register and attend last night’s event, opining that Lawton was wrong not to allow him into the event because, after all, the event was about free speech. The same neo-nazi scumbag had earlier whined to VoiceofCanada in a comment (which I refused to post) about being excluded by Lawton and his “Koshervatives.”
McArthur then compared this white supremacist piece of trash to Mark Steyn saying they both promoted hate. I didn’t get home in time to phone in, so I sent the following message to McArthur in response via the online form at AM980.ca:
1. I was there for Mark Steyn last night, and I can tell by your comments you very likely weren’t – otherwise you’d have realized just how silly the phrase ‘Controversial Author Mark Steyn’ would sound before saying it.
2. Just because someone – including you – says Steyn’s promoting hate doesn’t make it so. That’s the whole point of his successful fight w/the Human Rights Commission, isn’t it? Comparing Mark Steyn to xxxxx is disgusting. At no time did I hear Steyn promote any neo-nazi/supremacist ideology.
3. If xxxxx was allowed to register at Lawton’s event the story in the LFP or on McArthur this morning would have been ‘White Supremacists Support Mark Steyn.’
4. We went through the exact same thing in Caledonia (when are you going to talk about Blatchford’s book?) when those who supported the violence there falsely accused us of being racists simply for saying that innocent people shouldn’t be victimized – which is exactly what Steyn was saying. Like Steyn, we had to deal with journalists who simply spread the garbage without making any attempt to discover whether it was true or not.
5. Andrew Lawton did exactly the right thing and I support him 100%. Perhaps YOU would be willing to put your money where your mouth is by renting a hall for xxxxx to exercise his right to spread his filthy neo-nazi supremacist garbage, and emcee the event for him?
Until then, perhaps you should cut Lawton some slack?
Founder, Caledonia Victims Project
- AM980.ca, Nov 02/10: McArthur in the Morning podcasts (I have a downloaded copy…just in case)
So there you have it folks – according to Jeff McArthur at AM980 conservatives are the bad guys when they refuse to allow neo-nazi trash to attend their events.
Man, er, journalist bites dog. You heard it here first.
I just found this quote from Mark Steyn’s speech at the CAMERA conference, “War by Other Means: The Global Campaign to Delegitimize Israel‘ on Oct 10-11/10 regarding the dismal performance of western journalists in defending freedom of speech:
Steyn criticized journalists for their pervasive lack of courage concerning Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris, who went into hiding after she received death threats as a result of her call for an “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day.”
“When someone says, ‘We are going to kill you because you insulted us,’ and journalists are silent, it’s the decline of Western civilization,” he said. “We must say, ‘If you want to kill us, you’ll have to kill us all.’ But the FBI tells Norris to go undercover and the wimpy response of her Seattle newspaper [The Seattle Weekly] is to declare, ‘There is no more Molly.’”
- Jewish Voice & Herald, Oct 29/10: CAMERA addresses delegitimization of Israel (great quotes from Steyn as one of featured speakers)
- Strictly Right, Nov 02/10: Steynapalooza a Huge Success!
- VoiceofCanada, Oct 22/10: 3 Questions for London mayoral candidates re Mark Steyn cancellation by London Convention Centre
- VoiceofCanada, Oct 22/10: Who’s telling the truth about Mark Steyn cancellation, Part 2
- VoiceofCanada, Oct 21/10: Who’s telling the truth about Mark Steyn cancellation at London Convention Centre?
- Strictly Right.com: Strictly Right Presents Mark Steyn!
- National Post, Oct 22/10: Centre refuses to host Steyn lecture on free speech
- see also: Jewish Voice & Herald, Oct 29/10: CAMERA addresses delegitimization of Israel (great quotes from Steyn as one of featured speakers)
Mark Vandermaas, Editor