At 1000 Feb 12/08 I received an email from MPP Toby Barrett regarding his attempt to encourage Haldimand County to issue a strongly worded proclamation calling on federal and provincial governments to restore ‘Peace, Order and Good Government’ to their citizens.
Toby Barrett’s draft proclamation [PDF]
Hi, Toby here,
Yesterday I was invited to sit with Haldimand Councillors during Committee of the Whole to discuss the impact of Aboriginal issues on the County.
As part of our deliberations I presented the attached proclamation for review and possible action by councillors
Your thoughts (additions, deletions or other changes) would be most welcome.
<<02.11.08 HALDIMAND PROCLAMATION.doc>>
FOR PEACE, ORDER AND GOOD GOVERNMENT
WHEREAS, since February 28, 2006, people across Haldimand County and beyond have been subjected to arson, extortion, barricades, land seizures, occupations, militant protests, and related harassment, intimidation, mob violence and threats to public safety.
AND WHEREAS, the community safety, social and economic life, of Haldimand and neighbouring residents, has declined because of the climate of fear, chaos and uncertainty generated by various acts of lawlessness and related intimidation.
AND WHEREAS, there is a perception, and evidence, of two categories of law, of justice, of police protection, and government action based on one’s race and geographical location within Haldimand County and beyond.
AND WHEREAS, the lawlessness, and the less than adequate prevention and response on the part of police and other government authorities regarding these illegal acts appears to be tolerated, and perhaps condoned, by provincial and federal government policy.
AND WHEREAS, both the provincial and federal governments have legislative, regulatory, enforcement, decision-making and policy-making capability beyond the mandate and scope of Haldimand County.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED, that Haldimand County, in support of all of its residents, proclaim and request, with utmost urgency, that the following actions be taken where mandated at the provincial and federal level:
- Restore police patrol, response and enforcement as well as justice, order and the rule of law, including court injunctions, throughout Haldimand County regardless of one’s race or geographical location.
- Cease all land dispute negotiations and related actions until extortion, and illegal occupations and protests are terminated.
- Budget and publicly set timelines and deadlines to continue to resolve legitimate land disputes expeditiously within a climate of openness, mutual respect, and justice for all affected.
- Compensate individuals, businesses and the municipality for loss, insecurity, economic decline, and any other collateral damage stemming from provincial and federal decisions and policy, or lack thereof, that have eroded peace, order and good government in Haldimand County and beyond.
Respectfully submitted, Toby Barrett, MPP Haldimand-Norfolk — February 11, 2008
People are inspired by leaders who aren’t afraid to stand up and show the way, and that’s what Toby Barrett did yesterday. I hope that Haldimand Council has finally come to its collective senses and realizes that without the rule of law and equal justice nothing else matters. I hope they will unite behind their citizens with Toby Barrett’s help and speak with one, loud, clear voice to say to McGuinty and native criminals, “We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take this anymore!”
Toby’s proclamation should be plastered on every utility pole in the county in recognition of the historic document it is, and framed and hung in every livingroom. Thanks to real leadership, Haldimand Council is now in the position of having to choose between taking a stand for justice, or continuing to obstruct citizens who cannot and will not be bribed, threatened or beaten into agreeing to abandon their constitutional rights.
If you live in Haldimand, you need to pick up the phone and call your councillor and your Mayor – right now! – and tell them to pass Toby’s Proclamation exactly as is, and while you’re at it…tell them you want it passed unanimously!
What can you say about Toby Barrett but, ‘Well done. Very well done. Thank you.’ Don’t forget to send him some appreciation at email@example.com
Mark Vandermaas, Editor
Co-founder, Canadian Advocates for Charter Equality
- MPP Toby Barrett, Tillsonburg News, Feb 23/11: February 28 is fifth anniversary of Caledonia [PDF]
- MPP Toby Barrett, Nov 18/10: Christie Blatchford Hamilton meeting
- MPP Toby Barrett, Nov 16/10: “Distasteful treatment of our friend Christie Blatchford at the University of Waterloo” [PDF]
- MPP Toby Barrett, Oct 28/10: Hudak charges “failure of leadership” in Caledonia (cites Blatchford’s Helpless, and Peter Worthington review)
- MPP Toby Barrett, Oct 27/10: McGuinty silent on charges of meddling in Caledonia policing – Leadership vacuum highlighted in Blatchford’s Helpless [PDF]
- MPP Toby Barrett, Oct 26/10: Is Blatchford’s ‘Helpless’ the final word on Caledonia?
- MPP Toby Barrett, Oct 01/10: Barrett asks McGuinty for help in Caledonia
- MPP Toby Barrett, Sept 24/10: MPP Barrett to repeat call for Caledonia Inquiry
- MPP Toby Barrett news release, Mar 23/10: Opposition critic for Aboriginal Affairs calls for apology to Caledonia
- MPP Toby Barrett, Feb 22/10: How much are these land disputes costing us? ($4.1B)
- MPP Toby Barrett news release, Feb 05/10: Caledonia update – Is there a conflict of interest in Fantino case
- MPP Toby Barrett to Premier McGuinty, June 19/09: Illegal Occupation of Privately Owned Farmland II
- MPP Toby Barrett news release, June 19/09: Barrett backing Hudak law against illegal occupations
- VoC, June 19/09: MPP Toby Barrett defends Caledonia Militia against McGuinty insults
- MPP Toby Barrett, June 12/09: letter to McGuinty re illegal occupation of private farmland: Barrett to Premier: “dangerous for government to abdicate responsibility.”
National Post, Feb 13/08: Police ignoring native violence, MPP alleges
VoiceofCanada, June 12/09: Barrett to Premier: “dangerous for government to abdicate responsibility”
MPP Toby Barrett website: www.tobybarrett.com
Haldimand County: Contact info for Council members
YouTube video clip from ‘Network’: “I’m mad as hell…!”
VoiceofCanada, Feb 13/07: Toby Barrett leads Caledonia council to water…but they won’t drink!
VoiceofCanada, Dec 18/07: MPP Toby Barrett: Who sets direction for OPP?
VoiceofCanada, April 19/07: Haldimand’s choice: learn from FantinoGate…or not
VoiceofCanada, April 25/07: Haldimand Council snubs Fantino’s victims
VoiceofCanada, April 12/07: OPP begins to choke on its own lies
VoiceofCanada, Oct 17/06: March for Freedom – what really happened in Caledonia on Oct 15/06 (Toby Barrett took a stand when few would!)