Category Archives: FantinoGate

Regional News (Caledonia): Fantino nomination ‘bloody disgraceful’

Regional News reporter Bill Jackson takes notes at Oct 13/10 Caledonia debate

Regional News reporter Bill Jackson takes notes at Oct 13/10 Caledonia debate

Reporter Bill Jackson, himself a victim of an assault by native protesters in Caledonia, provided this editorial comment in the Oct 20/10 edition of the Caledonia-based Regional News, which serves Haldimand County:

Regional News – Comment [PDF]
by Bill Jackson
Oct 20/10

I echo the sentiment urging people to get out on Oct. 25 and exercise their democratic right as voters. It is a trite cliché, but nonetheless true. A strong voice is needed in Haldimand now, more than ever.

Yet it’s easy to understand how people have lost their faith in government, especially when someone like Julian Fantino gets nominated as a candidate for the federal Conservatives. After years of lawlessness and two-tiered justice in Caledonia under his watch, countless letters and phone calls pleading with upper levels of government to do something to protect local residents, and Conservatives themselves saying that the province needed to uphold the law, it’s bloody disgraceful. Prime Minister Stephen Harper, local MP Diane Finley and the entire federal Conservative Party should be ashamed. There’s simply no way around it.

Continue reading

Response to pro-OPP comments by Haldimand councillor/Police Services Board Chair Lorne Boyko in Hamilton Spectator

REVISED July 15/10 — Lorne Boyko, Councillor Ward 6, Chair of Police Services Board, Haldimand CountyHaldimand Councillor/Police Services Board Chair Lorne Boyko has not responded to the questions I submitted to him last week about his comments to a Hamilton Spectator reporter, so I will provide a counter-point to his view that OPP racial policing is legitimate based on his understanding of the Constitution and the Ipperwash Inquiry report.

Councillor Lorne Boyko, chairperson of the Haldimand County Police Services Board, said he was “delighted” when he heard Deputy Commissioner Lewis had become Fantino’s replacement. He said he has always been approachable and believed it was “a plus” in the county’s favour Lewis got the job because he is familiar with the Caledonia dispute. Asked if he believed there was two-tier justice, Boyko cited the Ipperwash Inquiry report and said: “Are (natives) dealt with differently? Sure they are dealt with differently. Does the Constitution deal with them differently? Whether we like it or not, it does. … Anybody who takes the time. It’s there.” He said he “personally liked” Fantino and said, while the county had a couple of bumps with him, “You knew where he stood in a very short time. And he stood behind his decisions.”

CALEDONIA FACTS VS. MYTHS: CHRIS LEWIS, THE IPPERWASH INQUIRY AND THE RULE OF LAW 

1. Boyko “delighted” at appointment of Chris Lewis: Lorne Boyko has expressed his ‘delight’ at the appointment of a man who was once charged with Obstructing Justice in the prosecution of Gary McHale for Counselling Mischief Not Committed, a charge laid after Lewis received instructions from his predecessor Julian Fantino to get Gary McHale and not to “get bogged down with legal nuances” doing it:

Continue reading

Copy of ‘Obstructing Justice’ charge order vs. now-OPP Commissioner Chris Lewis

Justice Walsh's signed order that former OPP Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent Ron Gentle face Obstructing Justice charges. Click to enlarge.

Justice Walsh's signed order that former OPP Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent Ron Gentle face Obstructing Justice charges. Click to enlarge.

Gary McHale has supplied VoiceofCanada with a copy of the charge order (called an ‘information’) signed on Feb 16/10 by Justice of the Peace Walsh after he ruled McHale had presented sufficient evidence to charge former Deputy Commissioner Chris Lewis and Superintendent Ron Gentle with Obstructing Justice in the case against him. 

Continue reading

Senior OPP officers charged w/Obstructing Justice in McHale case

knight-w-sword.jpg

RELATED STORIES:

UPDATE April 14/10: Gary McHale advises that, as expected, the Crown today dropped the charges against Deputy Commissioner Lewis and Superintendent Gentle after fast-tracking the hearing from April 28th to today. The Crown dropped the charge without even consulting the victim of the alleged obstruction of justice – McHale who expects to apply for a judicial review in Superior Court.

(UPDATED July 07/10) Gary McHale has confirmed that in a hearing before a Cayuga Justice of the Peace today (March 16/10), he presented sufficient evidence to convince the Justice to order that charges of Obstructing Justice be issued against OPP Deputy Commissioner Chris Lewis and Superintendent Ron Gentle for their role in having him arrested after a Dec 01/07 protest where he and other non-native protesters were attacked by Six Nations people supporting an illegal smokeshack.

139(2): Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner other than a manner described in subsection (1) to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

Criminal Code of Canada, Part IV, OFFENCES AGAINST THE ADMINISTRATION OF LAW AND JUSTICE, Section 139(2): Obstructing Justice

CANACE’s Jeff Parkinson was the first to release this story:

Other media coverage:

The charges of attempting to obstruct justice against OPP Deputy Commissioner Chris Lewis and Superintendent Ron Gentle were laid by a justice of the peace in a Cayuga courtroom late yesterday — an occurence observers are calling “unprecedented.” […]

OPP spokesman Dave Ross said he could not comment because the force had not received any information about or confirmation of the charges yesterday.

McHale said Ross issued a summons for the two officers to appear in Cayuga court April 28.

The evidence

The evidence presented came from emails recently obtained by McHale via Crown disclosure after a nearly two year battle for full disclosure of all relevant evidence related to the charge of Counselling Mischief Not Committed laid against him in connection with the Dec 01/07 protest where he was viciously attacked.

Continue reading

Fantino’s sworn testimony vs. Fantino’s emails

gary_hospital-dec01-07-small.jpgUPDATED 1513 Feb 04/10: So, who’s telling the truth – Gary McHale (L, in hospital after being attacked by Six Nations thugs Dec 01/07) or Julian Fantino? 

A casual reader of Fantino’s emails and those of other OPP officers might be forgiven for wondering if Fantino and his cohorts were simply a little over-zealous in an honest attempt to shut down a dangerous, violent criminal who was really the one responsible for terrorizing Caledonia, and NOT all those native occupiers who were caught on film committing crime after crime while police watched.  (See this document, too, and the legal cases here).

After all, we’re supposed to be able to trust the words of a police chief or commissioner, aren’t we? Well, see now, that’s the problem…

I’d like to give you some resources to help you decide, all on your own, if Julian Fantino is lying to the public and in his emails to try to silence a thorn in the side of McGuinty/OPP racial policing policies, or if he is really and truly just a good cop with a reasonable concern about a dangerous menace to the people of Caledonia and Six Nations named Gary McHale:

Fantino’s emails as quoted in the media 

Until recently, there was – with one notable,  yet unfortunate exception [INFO] – virtually zero investigative jounalism being conducted into the Caledonia situation, especially into the evidence gathered by Gary McHale and CANACE founders about OPP misconduct. Recently, two journalists of note did something quite novel: they met with us, listened to us and reviewed some of our documents. They were Christie Blatchford of the Globe and CBC National News investigative producer/reporter John Nicol. The Toronto Star also produced a short article after their pieces appeared.

Continue reading

Ontario PC Party calls for outside prosecutor after Fantino charge dropped

UPDATE – VoC, Feb 06/10: MPP Toby Barrett: “The people of Ontario deserve an explanation.”

tim_hudak_ontario_mpp_erie-lincoln.jpegUPDATED Feb 04/10 — As expected, the Crown Attorney assigned the task of ‘prosecuting’  Julian Fantino dropped the charge of Influencing Municipal Official today against the OPP Commissioner via a prepared statement he read to the court. Gary McHale will be filing a judicial appeal of that decision. He has just issued a news release to the media:

Tim Hudak & PC caucus sound the alarm

CHTV’s 2pm newscast included a strong statement from PC leader Tim Hudak  on behalf of the PC caucus which called on the McGuinty government to call in an outside prosecutor in order to not only see justice done, but to preserve the “appearances of justice being done”:

“What we have called for as a PC caucus is for a prosecutor from outside the province to take a look at the evidence and that way people in Caledonia and across our province know that it was done with objectivity. Here’s the problem…I mean first you have Dalton McGuinty’s Crown Attorneys arguing that the case shouldn’t proceed, then other Crown Attorneys were put in charge of prosecuting the case. Now we hear they’re dropping the charges. We need to see not only that justice is done, but all appearances of justice being done.”

CHTV News (1400), Feb 03/10: PC Leader Tim Hudak

Continue reading

CBC News stories vindicate CANACE founders

UPDATED Feb 04/10 — CANACE is pleased to announce that on Feb 02/10 investigative reporter John Nicol of the CBC National News published two important stories about our work.

The first focuses on how we came to have OPP Commissioner Fantino charged with a criminal offence:

Both the cops and the Six Nations people believed McHale and Vandermaas were agitators bent on encouraging unrest. Some even went so far as to accuse the pair of being white supremacists who didn’t like the province’s handling of the native demands. But anyone who believes in justice being open and transparent might just consider them heroes with what they’ve accomplished so far in Ontario courts.

Where the police have turned a blind eye, they have shone a spotlight and laid private charges, with astonishing success. To date, they have won four cases in Superior Court and now — against serious odds — have succeeded in laying criminal charges against OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino, the province’s top cop, for influencing or attempting to influence municipal officials.

CBC News, Feb 02/10: The 2 men who are putting a police chief on trial [PDF]

Continue reading