UPDATE: National Post, Feb 10/12: Christie Blatchford: Caledonia loses brave, feisty voice as Regional shuts its doors
Since the Regional News did not publish its stories online Christine McHale (photo below) has taken the time to transcribe some of the key articles from today’s final edition so we can share them with you.
In choosing to publish four separate items from four separate members of the Caledonia Eight in her last edition, publisher Chris Pickup left no doubt where she stood when it came to supporting those who have fought to restore the rule of law and end OPP racial policing in Caledonia:
Regional News, final edition, Feb 08/12: Selected stories [PDF, 9P]
- ANNOUNCEMENT (Chris & Kevan Pickup): It’s been forty years but now it’s goodbye...
- EDITORIAL (Chris Pickup): Residents have lost their alternative voice
- LETTER TO EDITOR: (Bonnie Stephens, Caledonia 8): Stand up people
- LETTER TO EDITOR (Merlyn Kinrade, Caledonia 8): Truth, justice and freedom of speech not allowed in Haldimand County
- ARTICLE (Mark Vandermaas, Caledonia 8): Charges dropped against Caledonia Eight, but OPP undeterred
- WEEKLY OPINION COLUMN (Gary McHale, Caledonia 8): Mayor Hewitt used your taxpayers’ money to control the message
- LETTER TO EDITOR (Gordon S. Munro): Where was the coverage?