UPDATED 1301 April 20/11 — Since January 2010 there has been a dramatic escalation in Palestinian targeting of Israeli civilians via rockets, mortars and terror attacks, coupled with a steady stream of incitement of hate against Jews and Israel from official Palestinian sources.
Hamas has launched 370 rocket attacks since January 2009, 90 in the months of March and April alone.
It seems likely that Israel’s leaders will be be forced, sooner or later, to take strong action to stop the attacks against their citizens by once again attempting to degrade Hamas’ military capabilities as they did in Operation Cast Lead in 2008/2009.
Indeed, the Israeli Air Force has already targeted launching sites in the Gaza strip which had fired rockets at the town of Ashdod.
- IDF blog, April 16/11: Following Ashdod rocket fire, Israeli Air Force target two terror sites
- Israel National News, April 15/11: Ashdod under rocket attack as another ‘ceasefire’ is broken
The confluence of Mid-East events leads one to wonder if Palestinians are deliberately provoking the Israelis as part of a strategic plan involving a coordinated attack against Israel and/or a longer-term plan to strengthen support for the Muslim Brotherhood in Arab countries currently facing popular revolts against despotic and/or western-friendly regimes.
Let us examine events leading up to the recent mass rocket attacks on Israel conducted between March and April of this year.
Palestinian terrorists murder Fogel Family
On March 11/11 five members of the Fogel family – including three children – were massacred by Palestinians who would not even spare the life of 3 month old Hadas Fogel who was found with his throat slit, lying in the arms of his murdered father (photo, right).
- Australia Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), March 21/11: The Silent Massacre
- see also: Israel Today Magazine, March 14/11: Pictures of the Fogel family massacre (warning: graphic images)
- see also: VoiceofCanada, April 12/11: Jewish apathy decried at Fogel family massacre memorial in Hamilton
- see also: HonestReportingCanada, March 17/11: Massacre of Israeli family met by callous Canadian media indifference